The National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus is the largest art museum in Belarus. The museum funds include more than 27,000 works. It is located in the capital of the republic - the city of Minsk.
According to the decision of the Council of People's Commissars of the BSSR, the State Art Gallery was created in Minsk. It is located in fifteen halls of the building of the Higher Communist Agricultural School. In addition to the departments of painting, sculpture and graphic arts, a department of the art industry was organized in the Gallery by a special decree.
The funds of the State Committee of the BSSR already numbered 2711 works, of which 400 were on display. There was a long work to be done on the description and study of each monument, the creation of a catalog of the museum collection. The collection of the art gallery has ceased to exist, and its loss can be called irreparable. The fate of the pre-war meeting of the GKG is still unknown.
There were already 317 works in the funds. In November of the following year, a permanent exhibition was opened, located in five halls on the second floor of the House of Trade Unions. Despite the extra space provided, the Gallery was in dire need of more space.
The museum received permission to build a special building for the Gallery. The design of the new building was entrusted to the young front-line architect Mikhail Ivanovich Baklanov.
The State Art Museum of the BSSR was solemnly opened with the presentation of a new exposition and the All-Belarusian Exhibition, as the former Art Gallery was called.
The peak of the exhibition activity of the museum. The collection of Belarusian modern painting and graphics from the museum's funds travels around the countries of the USSR.
The construction of a new building of the museum began - an extension to the main building.
The grand opening of the extension of the museum, which allowed to significantly expand the permanent exhibitions: ancient Belarusian art, art of Western Europe, art of the countries of the East and Belarusian art of the XX-XXI centuries.
Department of ancient Belarusian art
Department of Contemporary Belarusian Art
Department of Russian and foreign art
Scientific fund department
Department of Scientific and Restoration Workshops
Editorial and publishing department
Department of Scientific and Educational Work
Department of automated control systems and technical processes
Library and archive
1939-1942, Nikolai Prokopevich, director
1944-1977 Elena Aladova, director
1977-1997, Yuri Karachun, director
Since 1998 Vladimir Prokoptsov, Director
Svetlana Aneiko, Deputy Director for Scientific and Educational Work
Sergei Vecher, Deputy Director for General Affairs and Restoration
Marina Malgina, Chief Custodian